Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Library of Congress

The Library of Congress is considered without question to be the most beautiful government building in the entire country. I have been to it once before, but I don't think my 15 year-old self appreciated the art and decor quite as much as my current self. We took a tour and learned many things, most of which I have already forgotten, but it was the mosaic floor that I enjoyed the most.

There was a Civil War exhibit on display which included several drafts of Abraham Lincoln's handwritten speeches as well as the contents of his pockets the night he was assassinated. He had two pairs of spectacles, a linen handkerchief, a pocket knife, a few other small things, and, most interestingly, a brown leather wallet containing a Confederate five dollar bill. Of course, as per usual, no pictures were allowed of the best exhibits. 

February seems to be the very best time to visit our nation's capital. All the tours are available at the last minute and there are almost no crowds anywhere. The last week has been unseasonably warm and sunshiny and wonderful for the most part. I'm still very thankful for the opportunity I had to come here with Forrest. Even though I still haven't recovered from the jet-lag (ridiculous, I know), we're having a grand old time.  

3 comments: