Monday, October 6, 2014

Eilean Donan

Today it was 73 degrees. SEVENTY-THREE. I mean, this is Seattle, not San Diego we're talking about (which is actually probably closer to 93?). I couldn't even feel the air today when I went out. This has been the perfect fall. We've had the windows and sliding door open in our apartment for days because it's too hot in here, which I realize is a silly thing to say about October, but there you have it. It's colder at night; we have a fan in the window to blow in the chilly night air. It's just a little crisp.

This chilliness sort of reminds me of Scotland in midsummer. I think I wore shorts during three summers in England about as many times as I have just this month alone. It's sad, but that's the British summer for you and at least I wasn't wearing a scarf, is all I have to say.

On our way from Fort William to see the famous Eilean Donan Castle, we noticed a large pull-off with a lovely view. Upon closer inspection, we discovered that there were thousands of rocks stacked up in small towers along the road. We thought we'd give it a try, and I added to a tower. I've tried looking up the meaning of the cairns, but apparently, one doesn't exist. It was a bit puzzling, but we moved on and speculated along the road. (UPDATE: After talking it over with Forrest, we both definitely remember there being some sort of marker or signpost dedicating the spot to fallen soldiers or something similar with each rock representing a service member. So there you go.)

This place actually reminds me of how we used to stack up the smooth stones along the Oregon and Washington coast when we were camping or visiting there. I don't know why we did it, but it was amusing. Perhaps there is an innate longing buried deep within the human soul to not leave a stone unstacked.

So, I stacked up some rocks. And onward to Eilean Donan!
I found these baby stalactites amusing.
After realizing that this was one of the only interior shots I have of the castle, I grew puzzled until I realized that photos are indeed forbidden indoors at Eilean Donan. There are several floors that you can go up, including the main hall, a few bedrooms, and the kitchen (which had all sorts of fake food displays which were fun and interesting).
The castle was so beautiful. It's not hard to see why this is the most photographed castle in Scotland.
I sat reminiscing today about all of the adventures we had in the United Kingdom during our time there. Our one-year mark of being back in the states is coming up next month and it's hard to believe that it's been so long since I've seen the people who made up most of our life for those few years.

Forrest and I sit and talk sometimes about what we miss the most: Indian food (for him), old estates (me), and all of our friends. I know we're going back someday. It's much too important to us. 

Until then, I'll keep going through our pictures and posting them here so that I'll always be able to remember.



P.S. 










No comments:

Post a Comment