Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Beard

Forrest left the military in November.
On his last day, he triumphantly declared, "I never have to shave again!"

And he didn't. Not for five long months.
But! There was light at the end of the tunnel.

I sometimes think that Forrest was a different person with his beard. He was that guy. The guy every other bearded man takes a second look at and comments, "dude, nice beard!" Forrest grows a good beard. Head nods and knowing looks became part of our daily public life at the grocery store. Apparently beards are really cool this year because we live in Washington State and all the hipsters have beards. As I type this, I am sure that having a beard is no longer the cool thing for hipsters to own. What do I know.

Forrest actually told me that he wasn't sure he wanted his beard anymore because he couldn't wear a beanie without looking like a hipster. Is this real life? My husband, the Forrest from Tennessee who only cares about flannel shirts and Ford hats is concerned about looking too cool. Sometimes I have to pinch myself because that husband of mine is a hilarious dream come true.

I sometimes think to myself that Forrest is part of a lot of different clubs than I am and that I am simply riding along. In general, Forrest is much cooler than I am without trying. Take his Defender. Forrest's Land Rover Defender is his pride and joy. It's basically a big, slow, loud farm vehicle with no airbags or head rests. Whilst in England, he actually owned two different Defenders over the course of two years. The thing about people with Defenders is, they are all part of a group of people who talk only about Defenders. They always wave at each other when they drive by in the opposite direction. People always used to talk to Forrest about his defender while I rolled my eyes and pretended to hate it (I actually kind of like it, but the thing only goes like 50 mph). I like to think that I was semi-cool by association. Riding along on his truck coat-tails, if you will. I digress. This paragraph was kind of related because the Defender is in the photos, so.

Anyway, the beard.

Honestly, I am impressed in spite of myself with Forrest's beard growing abilities. Personally, I think he looks quite dapper with about a two-month old beard. It still looks trimmed and has a nice face shape and it makes my heart pitter-patter with the manliness that is my husband. And throw him in a flannel shirt for good measure.

After that two month mark though.. well. He kind of started looking like a Robertson brother and that is just not my cup of tea.

I took these the day before he finally got too itchy and shaved the whole thing off.

Behold!


These are his contemplative and manly looks respectively. I didn't realize being manly was such angry business.
So, I've said goodbye to the beard and may it rest in peace forever. That thing is scratchy and I don't appreciate beard hairs up my nose either.

But I guess if you want to grow it back in the fall for two months, Forrest, that is okay with me.


And now we'll end with Jasper in April.
That pup..



No comments:

Post a Comment