Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Rock of Cashel


The Rock of Cashel was our very lost stop in Ireland before we headed to the airport. It is also called St. Patrick's Rock because he supposedly converted the current King of Munster (Munster was the Kingdom which included a large part of southern Ireland) in the 5th century to Christianity. Parts of the Rock are almost 900 years old and the main cathedral was started in 1235. The entire fortress rests on a big hill overlooking the town of Cashel on one side and an Abbey on the other. In 1101, the King of Munster gave the castle to the Church.

The Rock was really impressive. It is gigantic. But I don't really have much to say about it because we stopped there expecting it to be more of an interactive experience than it was. Apparently it houses some of the best Celtic art and medieval architecture in all of Europe. And they have St. Patrick's original cross so that is bonus points.

You know how when you get to the end of a really good vacation and you're just too tired to care anymore? That's kind of how I felt about being here. I wanted to see it but I was just too exhausted to read more information about Celtic Ireland. Basically all of that information up there is from wikipedia (except I did remember St. Patrick's cross all by myself). And you are welcome.

 
 
 
This is St. Patrick's cross. It was made in the 1100's.

As we were walking back to the car, we passed a wall that was completely covered in grass. The sides were rock and the top was grass. It really made me wonder who mowed the wall because the grass wasn't that long. So. Sorry, I'm just picturing someone with a push-mower walking the length of the wall and that probably isn't funny to anyone except me.

I really wish we'd had more time to walk down to the Abbey down the hill and explore Cashel a little bit but like I said, we had a flight to catch.

And that concludes the posts about a trip I took four months ago. Finally. Does this feel a little anticlimactic to anybody else? Like maybe there should be fireworks or something?

If you missed any here they are in chronological order all linked up nice and neat.

1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12

My favorites are two, four, five, and eleven!



No comments:

Post a Comment