Monday, August 12, 2013

Sandringham

Upon our return to England from Ireland, we took my Aunt Denise to see Sandringham Estate.

Sandringham is a 20,000 acre estate where the royal family stays at Christmas. We visited it once before on Christmas Day but we weren't able to tour the house as it was occupied. By the Queen. 

No pictures were allowed of the interior (I swear that phrase makes me die a little inside every time) but I promise you that it was beautiful and gilded and so very fancy. The type of fancy where you feel a little silly wearing wellies inside. I guess you can kind of tell that from the outside.

But anyway, I looked into the mirror that the Queen uses to fix her hair before she goes outside and I also saw the table where she does her puzzles. Did you know the Queen likes to kick back after a long day with a puzzle? I do now.

We also stopped by the museum where they have a lot of relics on display as well as the collection of royal cars (including toy electric cars!). I have never seen so many Rolls-Royces in my life.

We ended the day quite fittingly with tea and scones. And that is probably what I will miss most about England when we leave. Who knows where you can find a decent clotted cream in the states?


 
This is an adorable little car used by the royal children. 

The only thing I was disappointed with at Sandringham is that they didn't let us tour the upper floors. At most estates we have been able to see the state bedrooms and sitting rooms, etc. I thought it would be very interesting to see, but I guess the royal family doesn't think so.

Can you imagine growing up in a place like this?


No comments:

Post a Comment