Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Military Day

The high for last Tuesday was 58 degrees so we decided to make the most of the beautiful weather and go to Arlington National Cemetery. On the way, we made a detour to the Pentagon Memorial and the U.S. Air Force Memorial. I spent the day in awe of the number of people who have given their lives for our country. I have been feeling extra patriotic ever since we arrived at the Capitol and that feeling has only grown with each  passing day as we see more and more of the great things that our country was built upon. 


As we viewed the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, I was overwhelmed with pride for my country and grief for the soldiers whose families never knew exactly what happened to them. I have never had anyone close to me die in a war or battle, but I couldn't stop picturing the wives and children of those who died and putting myself in their place. I think it's important to remind myself of this often so that I can stay vulnerable. It's way too easy to become callous to death and with everything happening in the world, I definitely do not want that. So what if I have to fight back tears walking through a cemetery of people who died hundreds of years ago? All of them were real people and most of them died way too young.




 Oh, and Arlington Cemetery was built on General Lee's wife's land. His house was pretty cool. 



*Pictures 1-6 and 18 were taken by my cute husband.




No comments:

Post a Comment